Thursday, April 14, 2016

Ten Planes Overhead

For twenty minutes I sat outside at dusk; no one was outside. There was some distant dog barking. Six small birds sat on the top of tree down back. Ten air planes flew overhead most heading west into the setting sun, they looked like comets streaking across the peach sky. Where are they are going, where did they take off? That’s a plane every two minutes that crossed into my bit of sky. Are the planes full? I often think about 9/11 and Flight 93. Did it fly over my house before it came down in Shanksville? I think it must have. Sometimes I hear a plane flying low too low for my liking, since the closest airport is forty minutes away and it’s not even a large airport more like a hub. I was there last year twice to rent a car. Both times I walked in and the airport was dead. I didn’t even see TSA. I expected more but I haven’t flown since 9/11. But I think about those low flying planes that are probably going to the airport and I think what if? Could it happen again? How far away is safe if the plane came down. I guess that is kind of outlandish right? I don’t think it would happen again, but the world seems to be coming apart at it’s seams. I wrote a story about this very thought. You know I didn’t live in New York or DC but I do live in Pennsylvania and I think about Flight 93 a lot. The news broke over the classic rock station I was listening to and I couldn’t believe it. I rushed inside and turned on CNN just in time to see the second plane hit the other tower. I called my mom to make sure my dad was not flying and he wasn’t. So I just stood there in disbelief like a squirrel in the middle of the road. I didn’t know what to do. I wonder when Flight 93 flew over head? Was it when I was on my way home and getting off the exit. Was it when I was in my house watching the news? I don’t know, I just have this feeling that if I looked up at the sky that morning, I would seen it streaking across the sky like a comet. And its strange to obsess over one plane. And today all these planes fly by, like everything is normal, disappearing into the edge of the dome, like golden comets straight out of a movie.

****
Hey all, here is the workings of prompt 14. So it's odd that every time there is a prompt that requires thoughts, it always comes out as prose. I don't know why. Here is the full prompt, which you can read here.  I seriously do not think in complete sentences but here we are, complete sentences and run-ons, I will blame this on my fingers, who do all the typing anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment