Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Modern Folk on the Metro

She said, “...frozen tuna warnings...” on the Metro to her phone, twirling her fake blonde hair.
He said, “... secret military ops in Africa ...” on the Metro in his sleep.
She read, “...40 million cyber attacks...” on the Metro to her blind mother.
He dictated, “...rebuild the cathedral of damage...” on the Metro to his iPhone, his tie blue with Mickey ears.
She said, “...president doesn’t regret tweeting 9/11...” on the Metro to her Youtube audience.
He said, “...destroyed in the explosion...” on the Metro to his guy friend in a skirt.
She said, “...photos of the refreshed...” on the Metro to her girlfriend done up in bright makeup.
He said, “...pitches policies to the rust belt...” on the Metro in his phone, his press pass falls to the floor.
She wrote, “...relics rescued by flames...” on the Metro on a beaten top spiral bound notepad.
He signed, “...the black diamond...” on the Metro to his brother who looked at the guy in the skirt.
She screamed, “...throw out this vegetable...” on the Metro to us, tossing her eggplant to the empty seat.
He repeated, “...disfigured tears and shock....” on the Metro from his audiobook.
She drew the words, “...inviting abuse for Easter...” on the Metro  on a blank sheet of paper in calligraphy which made it look prettier than the words themselves
He texted, “...capture intelligence squad...” on the Metro to someone called Bob
They chanted, “...we need to demonize...” on the Metro to each other but loud enough so we can hear and join in if we like.
I said, “...consider liquidating hometown...” on the empty Metro car.

***
So here is poem 16. I sort of followed the prompt which was to make a list poem that "defamiliarizes the mundane." All the words in quotes came from Yahoo News (I accessed it today April 17, 2019) and I wrote down a phrase found in order from a particular headline. For example in line three I have "rebuild the cathedral of damage." the actual headline reads "Norte Dame Blaze: Emmanuel Marcon vows to rebuild Paris cathedral as scale of damage emerges."

Once I collected my bits. I made a scene with them and all the people on the Metro. When I wrote this, I was imagining the  Washington DC public transport since I spent the most time on that Metro system. But you can imagine any metro you want.

I am pleased with how this poem turned out. Now, I just need to write today's poem and work on Camp. Find more awesome poets at NaPoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment