Thursday, April 25, 2019

Edict

Alone in the woods,
the blind oracle
waits at the hidden harbor
with incessant anxiety

What demon possessed me?
I promised to pay
the nutshell of civility
my consequent luxury
was time to be a machine
I was alone with the oracle.

The sun rose clear
without proof. The smoke
of opinion ripens
the hemlock, oak, maple,
spruce, elm, and birch.

“The stars are the apexes
of what wonderful triangles,”
she said, dilated the atmosphere
and faded into tangerine light
Yes, it is I replied
alone in the woods.


***
This is poem 25. I wasn't feeling the prompt today, so I decided to use another found poem method, I selected words and phrases from a source text. I used On Walden Pond by Henry David Thoreau. Most words in this poem came from the first few pages in my Kindle edition. The only part in the poem with quotation marks is a direct sentence, word for word from the text. Love, love that line.

Find more great poets at NaPoWriMo.

No comments:

Post a Comment