Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Gale

Cape Cod Evening by Edward Hooper
Image retrieved from the
 National Gallery of Art,
Washington DC
He’s a working man
not paid enough for long hours
building boats he’s never going
to sail for the white Victorian
in Cape Cod.

She’s an unhappy woman
with her children living
their own lives, wanting
more than taking care
of the white Victorian
in Cape Cod.

The collie stands
in autumn seagrass
watching sparrows seek
shelter from the eastward
storm at the white Victorian
in Cape Cod.

They all wait
for the lightning strike
for the thunder growl
for the rain to finally fall
on the white Victorian
in Cape Cod.

***
Hey all, here is poem 22, an ekphrastic poem, which somewhat follows the prompt for the day. Once I complete my current poetry project, One Book, 300 Poems, a Pinterest exclusive project featuring blackout and whiteout poetry from the same book, I plan on working on a series of ekphrastic poems using artwork from new artists on Etsy. That won't be for a while since I have about a year or two to finish the current project.

Anyway, I love Edward Hooper. He's one of my favorites in addition to Van Gogh and Dali. There's something peaceful about his paintings. But there's more to them. I can look at them for a while just taking it all in. When I went to the National Gallery of Art website to find open source images, I was delighted to see two Edward Hoopers. I had a hard time choosing which one.

I got one more to catch up on. Find more great poets at NaPoWriMo

No comments:

Post a Comment