Saturday, September 9, 2017

Perceived Godliness

Father Albright boarded the not-so-busy Metro toward Adams Morgan after praying with an old congressman who kept his coffers full,  while looking for absolution to look good in front of  television cameras.

The train lurched forward with a jerk and picked up speed. The air changed in the car to the smell of hot sun flesh decay. Lost soul screams flooded the car, bursting ear drums The passengers looked to the  Father. He turned around. Teeth tore at the train. They scrambled to touch his perceived godliness.

“Give us heaven,” they screamed.

He held onto them-  praying for his absolution.

***
Hey all, this is a 100 word story, also known as a drabble. I have not done a lot of short fiction, which is odd since I have a deep love for haiku and tanka. This is something I want to work more on. I spent an hour studying and reading drabbles and want to continue studying.

When it comes to my fiction, I am on this "less is more" kick, which I think irritates my former classmates and teachers because they always want more (detail, dialogue, etc.). However,  I want you to fill in the blanks. If you have been reading my blog off and on, I have been trying to write shorter blog posts.

Like haiku, a drabble is a brief moment in time that hopefully more lies under the surface. Our world is full of moments.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment