Monday, August 21, 2017

Solar Eclipse 2017

There's something about a foggy and overcast Sunday, when silence is in every corner and the sun is blanketed. Through the quiet, the neighbor plays "Teenage Wasteland" from his open garage as he works on something unseen. The cigarette smoke curls up and wafts out the open door.  Saturday night's zombie is in the back of my mind. And this right now is a scene from a movie not made, or a future unwritten.  I can see it, I can hear the desolation of the world around me.

For some today, Eclipse Day, they believe it  could bring an end, the rapture. For me, with my Pumpkin Spice Special K cereal  box ready for the big event, I just cannot wait to see it. The sky is a mix of clouds and sun. Facebook is lighting up left and right with videos of the event from the west. And others running for under their beds.

It's like the wind that was in Maryland on Saturday that came down from the sky, taking your breath away, creating white caps on the small lake. The awe of the natural world. The moment when you feel small when look at the universe on a dark night and see the million year old stars. Thoughts overcome you, wondering what life was like a hundred years, a thousand years ago, when man first stepped from evolution and wondered across the land. I wonder what life was like here, when this country was more wild than city. When trees and littered the land. When a small strand of smoke would dance against the sky with no one around for miles.

There's power in nature. And while I am only going to see 80% coverage (that is if the clouds aren't assholes), I am excited. 2:35 cannot get here fast enough.

Till next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment