Saturday, January 26, 2013

So This is Saturday

Damn, so it's been a week since I wrote. Actually, I haven't wrote really much of anything in the last week. I have had a cold since Christmas which I can't seem to get rid of so I like to spend a lot of my free time taking naps when ever I can squeeze one in. I have three writing projects right now. One is writing another murder mystery game, another short story that will turn into an ebook and I have to come up with some new jokes because they didn't like 7 of the 100 I wrote.

Okay, my husband helped with some of the jokes but I did come up with most of them myself. The other day I managed to write 500 words of the short story and I am slowly coming up with things for the murder mystery game.

Speaking of freelance writing... I started freelance writing in November. Remember I actually have a full time job as an electronic assembler so I don't spend a lot of time free lance writing. Anyway since I began freelancing I have made (this is is money, I already got paid)   $140 and once I finish the projects I am working on I will make another $80. Of course if I spent more time freelancing I would make more but I am happy with what I make. And this is all from the same three people (except for $40 because I sold some poems outside of oDesk). This is nice I have a few clients I work with and provide me with decent jobs with decent pay.

I am sure there are people who make more and I know I could but I am choosing to not be a  freelance writer full time because it will burn me out. I know it will because I went down that path before. I am trying quality over quantity. Plus I should spend more time working on publishing things on my own.

Honestly, going through the Writer's Market bores the shit out of me. I am going to buy a new one this year sometime. My editions are only two years old. See, I go through the book and mark up the ones I  think I would like to send stuff to. Then I hit the web to make sure the magazine still exists and check on current guidelines. At least I got one step done. My husband helped me select what he thought were my five best poems. This is good because many magazines want up to 5 poems per submission and I never know what to send in.

What I want to do next is prepare each poem for submission. You know putting the contact info on it and make sure they are formatted properly. And then I am going to print out some copies to mail and start combining them into file because some magazines only want one file for an electronic submission.  I also started a publishing journal on paper. This is my attempt at organization. I use this one for definite good magazines. These are the ones that are still in print. And in this journal I write all the info down if it is a mail only submission or electronic and if it is electronic how the submission fee if there is one. If I can find an editor's name I write that down as well. Each magazine gets their own page.

After the contact info I have a heading for what I sent and when and then there is a response section so I can keep track of my submissions. Yeah I should put it on the computer but I kind of like the old school kind of ways plus physically writing something down keeps it in my mind better than typing it on the computer.

With all of that being said I should go off and work on something and feel a bit productive.

Saturdays are best spent sledding down the hill with a trashcan lid.

No comments:

Post a Comment