Monday, April 2, 2018

Eclipse

I.
The sun slips into dark pantyhose
footsteps stop walking up and down
the steps, eyes to the sky
bats fly from the cave and I find the
bones I’ve been looking for

II.
They call it the event of the decade
I call it a waste of time
They call it end of the world
I call it five minutes of
idling
I look up on the stopped freeway
just as the corona expands
taking  me away.

III.
I’ve been waiting for this moment
twenty years and counting
the old lady at the county fair
said I would fly
when darkness covers the day
I step off the building
but, I think as I look at the mess,
I didn’t understand what she meant.

IV.
Quiet street. Shadows overcome
light. Still wind. Crickets sing.
Complete darkness. The old black cat
dies in the rock garden.

V.
Some say there is magic
celestial blessings grown in
golden penumbras, but the tarot doesn’t
cooperate and I find myself like I was last
year waiting for an event that I only see
85 percent of.

***
Hey all, This was inspired by the day two prompt at NaPoWriMo. Wow, look at that two poems in one day. I am on fire....

No comments:

Post a Comment