Friday, December 14, 2012

Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting

As many of you know there was a school shooting at an elementary school in Newton, Connecticut. According to the Huffington Post, there 27 dead, 20 kids and 7 adults. And this story really bothered me, bothered me more than Columbine and I was in high school at the time. More than the Amish school house shooting here in Pennsylvania. This has everything to do with my daughter being in an elementary school. Reading through the comments on the Huffington Post, people are already yelling for gun control. Oh I will get to that in a minute.

I want to know what were the thoughts of the shooter. How can he look in a kid's face and just shoot. I am sure there many who can postulate on his frame of mind. Maybe he was depressed or schizophrenic or something that led to this. There are reports his mom worked at the school and she was also dead. So why did he shoot the kids. I am  not condoning the shooting of his mom but at least there is a reason, good or bad. I don't understand.

When I was in school, it was pretty safe. Of course, there are dangerous schools out there and those people live with that day in and day out. Sure the government tries to help but some of the inner city schools are dangerous. Maybe because this was a small town and things like that just aren't supposed to happen. Anymore, they do. There are those who believe Columbine started it all. Those kids opened fire on their school and then killed themselves. There were movies and books and so much media coverage, everyone knew about the Columbine shooting. Aren't there other ways to claim fifteen minutes of fame as opposed to entering a school and shooting innocent people.

I can think of other things even if they are illegal, big ass bank robbery where the person dresses in their birthday suit. I know it is nutty but no one should die. If he wanted his death why didn't he just jump off an overpass? Why go through all this, why ruin other people's lives if his was possibly so miserable?

Every time, there is some kind of shooting, the whispers of gun control run adjacent to the actual news story. I am pro second amendment. I believe people can own weapons but they must take responsibility for such a weapon. What will gun control do anyway? When booze was illegal wasn't there still moonshine being made in the hills and there were speak easy's where the booze came from some other place. Having stricter gun laws will not do anything except add more charges to the perpetrator. If someone wants a gun and has the money then they will have it.

If someone wants a gun bad enough they will get it. There are already laws in place for people who have a had a history of mental illness can't own a gun. But that doesn't mean they can't steal a gun from their neighbor or relative. And even the extreme people who wants guns banned all together, there will be guns illegal or not just like alcohol. What about he people who have no known record, they can buy a gun so where does gun control really get?

Would stricter gun laws prevented the tragedy of today? I think not. Because if he was out to do harm to other people and didn't have gun, who is to say he wouldn't have made pipe bombs? Maybe he wasn't that smart. So go simpler with a Molotov cocktail. I still think this would have happened, guns or no guns.

Because this mother fucker decided to wake up one day and kill others and himself.

I want to give my condolences to the victims' families, the school, the survivors and the entire town.

No comments:

Post a Comment