Thursday, May 5, 2016

The Wolf's Red Rose by JM Scott Free until 5/8/16

Hey all, just a quick post to let you know that The Wolf's Red Rose is FREE until May 8, 2016. It is a retelling of the famous Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale, told from the point of view of the wolf.

Here's the beginning:

Why do wolves always get a bad reputation? Look at me, I have a college degree and since I moved into the Ethereal Forest, I’ve been ridiculed. Just because of my species. Yes, I love meat but I take animals that are already dead unlike my former pack that hunts for food. They are a good pack though, they only hunt for food and not for glory like some packs. It was my choice to leave the pack and start a new life. I wanted to spend my time writing poetry, piddling in my garden and living a truly peaceful life. That was my plan. And at first things were grand.

I contracted these three little pigs to build my home. They built a three-room house with the utmost details, expert masonry, framed windows, and huge ceilings with wooden beams. They built most of my furniture. After they were done, I invited them to spend time with me, playing cards and what not. I enjoyed their company and they enjoyed my homemade wine.
To this day, I am not exactly sure what happened but the brothers pig had a falling out of sorts. Each pulled pranks on each other. Then for whatever reason my name got dragged into their fight and they all blamed me for their misfortune. And the only reason they would turn their backs on me was because I was a wolf, a hunter, and they were getting a lot of grief for my being my friend.

After that incident, I woke up one morning to my beautiful prize vegetables and my precious grapes smashed all about. Smashed not eaten. On my once pristine brick wall, were words smeared in cranberry-colored blood leave us alone and killer. Animal carcasses littered my yard. Freshly killed animals nonetheless. Who would do this? The only thing left to do is to pick up the pieces to start again. I salvaged all the good meat (just because I didn’t kill them, doesn’t mean I had to waste the meat) and I preserved it. I collected all the bones and the smashed vegetables from my garden and mixed them with my compost. I spent days scouring the graffiti off my walls. Shortly after that, my pack came for a visit. I am positive the eyes and ears of the forest watched closely as a pack of wolves came into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment