Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thoughts on Writing and Selling Books

Good news, I am still working on my novel but today was a rather rough day. I just finished an important scene and I was lost on where to go next. I guess this is where outlining would be helpful but screw it. I did write 2000 words and the wheels are turning for the next exciting things to happen. With that I am going to give myself a pat on the back.

The two books I have self-published through Kindle, went through some interesting changes. I raised the price up to $2.99 each and the reason is to actually sell books. Yes, I want my name out there so giving them away for free was good but I want to make money off them. Kindle introduced a new promotion but I had to have the books at the $2.99 price. It is the countdown deals and honestly I think I will actually make money or should I say compensated for my writing. What the countdown deals are for a seven day period you can discount your book at varying levels.

People love free but they also love sales. When they feel they are getting good deal, they will pay. I know I am one of those people. I would spend a $1 or $1.50 on an eBook if the listing price was more than that. With this program, I will make royalties. When I sell my book for a buck, I have no sales unless I am giving away the book for free. Also when someone gets the book for free, they are less inclined to leave any kind of feedback. When something is paid for and the book suck they will feel cheated and write a review. My books could really use reviews, good or bad. I could really use a royalty check from Amazon. Selfish? No, you all can read stuff on here for free. This blog serves two purposes: to gain clients for my freelance writing business and to gain a fan base so I can sell books.

One of my plans for the coming year is to have Amazon physically print the books and when I go to sell my jewelry at craft shows and flea markets, I going to try and sell my books.

Yeah I am in the business of writing, I make money off the one side of writing but I figure its time to try and make money off my other books.  The business of writing is more than writing it's selling books (maybe movie deals but that's later in the future.)

Okay so I am done for the day. I am going to keep working on my novel. I am going to try out countdown deals and see how that goes for me. Until the next time, keep your toes warm and your wallet closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment