Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Seeking Publishers

For years now, I have been sending out stories and poems to print magazines and digital magazines, magazines that pay or don't. Sure, I would like to get paid, but it doesn't even matter now. In all those years, I have had haiku published in Frogpond and Bear Creek Haiku. This was years ago.

According to my spreadsheet I have been keeping since 2015, I have 99 rejections. A 100% rejection rate.  It is discouraging.

I know this is how the business is. And this is to be expected.

But I think I had an epiphany the other day while I was doing a submission blitz.  My work does not fit in any magazine, print or digital, anywhere.

I don't follow the current "popular" style. My stories are heavy in dialogue. My stories do not describe the rain in a paragraph when a sentence is sufficient enough. My stories are genre and not at the same time. Many of poems are cerebral, surreal, and based in language play.

And so I must ask myself, should I bother with the magazines when I know it will be rejection. I read the guidelines. I read the samples. And I know my work doesn't fit. So then I wonder what should I do now?

Times like this I wish I had another author to talk with. 

Writing is fun; I love it. I love editing. I love revising. I hate submission and looking for publishers.

Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment